A review of the Revolution Race GPx Zip-Off outdoor pants
Short description of the product: all-year convertible outdoor pants
Where was the product tested: 7-day hike in Scotland
- In what conditions: warm / sunny / rainy / windy
- By who: Myself (189 cm. / 81 kg.)
Weight: 592g (size Large; weighed it at home)
Materials: Hypershell®: 65% polyester / 35% cotton and Hypershell® Stretch: 93% nylon / 7% spandex
So, why the GPx pants ...
The company behind the pants, Revolution Race from Sweden, recently contacted me to hear whether I was interested in testing one of their pants. I knew Revoluation Race beforehand and have heard promising things about them since their products are quite popular in Denmark. Ultimately, I eyed in on the GPx model and decided to use to pants for my thru-hike of the West Highland Way in Scotland. I chose the GPx model because I have heard good things about this model and because they're convertible pants. I usually hike in shorts; hiking in pants are too steamy for me, but I do like full pants for the evenings.
Fit and comfort
- Super comfortable to wear due to stretchy materials
- Zippers don't cause any chafing (well done, Revolutation Race!)
- A little wide around the waist; was never a problem but I used an improvised belt made of string because like the pants to sit tight around my waist
- They fit long, but can be tightened around the ankles with a button-strap (very neat feature)
- Four (!) zippered pockets; two on right leg, one on left and one on the back
- Two normal pocket pants
- Different colored knee-zippers (I liked this a lot, compliments to RR for having eye for the details)
- Adjustable width in the bottom of the legs
- Reinforced materials in seat, front of the thighs and bottom of the legs
Breathability and weather-resistance
- Not water repellent
- Dry fast when wet, but gets extra heavy
- Becomes hot when used as full pants during medium to high activity
My verdict of the Revolution Race GPx (zip-off) ...
I am very happy with these pants. Particularly, the great comfort, well-thought features and versatility of the pants makes me want to recommend these pants.
For a while, I've been wanting a pair of pants that I could use for both hiking, walks in the forest and general outdoor activity and I do not have to look around anymore. These will be my go-to pants for weekend trips and shorter hikes especially when fall and winter come around and the temperatures drop. However, I will probably want to go with something lighter for longer hikes where weight and pace are important factors.
All in all, I find the GPx pants to be a great product at a very fair price. I can't come to think of any other pair of pants in this price range that outmatches these pants and I do recommend giving them a go.
Revolution Race send me these pants to test them out free of charge, but I am in no other way affiliated with Revolution Race nor am I receiving any affiliate benefits from writing this review. This is my honest opinion about the product and you should always feel welcome to contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions of any sort.
Revolution Race GPxPro (zip-off)
Comfort and Mobility9.5/10
Venting and Breathability6.0/10
The good stuff
- Strech makes a super comfortable fit
- No chafing around zippers
- Reinforced materials
- Lots of pockets (with zippers)
- Can be used for a wide range of outdoor activities
The not so good stuff
- Slightly heavy
- Becomes hot during medium - high activity level
- Soaks water (but dries quickly)
- Sizing can be a bit tricky